Keep yourself and your luggage safe by:
- Pay attention to who is looking at you – too often we find ourselves letting our guard down when we travel, don’t become a victim by being lax.
- Always pay attention and avoid distractions especially when traveling in crowded areas – the distraction technique is commonly used by thieves around the world. If someone is trying to distract you, pay extra attention.
- Never announce your room number outloud when checking in – have it written down instead.
- Never open your room without first finding out who is at the door – ask first and look through the peep hole.
- Bring a door stop with you and use it in addition to the door locks – choose accommodations which use key cards.
- Never set your luggage down and leave it unattended – this is an easy way to have it lifted without even noticing.
Avoid becoming a victim of a high tech scam by:
- Watch what network you login to – If it says free network, be wary. Ask the establishment first.
- Use only secured logins – Most high class establishments which offer free wifi will have a login, choose them over unsecured networks.
- If using a public computer, make sure you do not save passwords and clear all cookies and caches before you logoff – It is easy for high tech criminals to steal your information on public computers if you are not careful.
Blend in by:
- Not wearing lots of expensive jewelry – If you don’t need it, leave it at home.
- Not dressing like a tourist – Know what is common in the area and try to blend in.
We spend are hard earned time and money on our vacations, therefore, making sure we enjoy them is part of the planning process. Understanding how to avoid the bad things, make the most of the good things and maximize our budgets are all important no matter where we are traveling. Near or far, for the weekend or the week, make the most of all your travel experiences by knowing before you go with Island Trader Vacations.